Sunday, December 9, 2012

GenesisTramaine


Artist: genesis TRAMAINE

This past Thursday I was blindly invited to an art exhibit in Brooklyn and it went like this….

genesis TRAMAINE is an abstract artist, a member of Brooklyn Artistry & Company, who embraces blackness, misogyny, womanhood, and individuality.  Her paintings have properties such as black face and her own distinctive interpretation of the world around her. genesis is also a public school art teacher, educating primarily African American and Hispanic children.   In addition to a phenomenal collection of her own work, what I found extremely fascinating within the exhibit, included a wall dedicated to her students’ artwork.  It was a wall of self-portraits.  I found this wall to be so charismatic and was shocked at how truthful the students were in interpretation of themselves. Children can tell the truth better than any adult. My favorite piece at the exhibit is “Big Lip Tyrone” by genesis herself.  I love the exaggerated features and mustard-tone yellow is one of my favorite colors.  There was wine and the crowd contained insanely beautiful dapper women who were very pleasant.  A Thursday night spent absorbing art is a Thursday night well spent.














“I am totally excited about art.” – Genesis Tramaine

xoxo
-Rain




1 comment:

  1. Wow! Wish I was there. I'd never heard of her before but will keep an eye out for any exhibits that feature her work. Thanks Rain.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors